As I posted earlier, we’ve been having trouble running Everquest II on our home systems.
This weekend, I decided to bite the bile duct and try a new motherboard. The ones we had used the VIA chipset to run the AGP bus (among other things). I tried out a motherboard that used the latest nVidia chipset, and the problems disappeared. I’d be the last to badmouth VIA, they have a good reputation in this part of Norrath, but apparently the nVidia cards I have are idiosyncratic in some way that the nVidia chipset can understand.
So, happy times ensued at Huxley Manor. The random crashes, reboots and freezes appear to be a thing of the past.